Maximum Number of Participants (5 minimum for judging): No maximum.
Date & Time: Saturday, 5 August, 2023, between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm.
Location: The University of Tennessee Arboretum located at 901 South Illinois Avenue, Oak Ridge, Tennessee, 37830. All photographs must be made while the photographer is standing inside the Arboretum property boundary. Arboretum information is at https://utarboretum.tennessee.edu/ .
Purpose of this Challenge: All Challenge photos submitted must be intentional camera movement (ICM) images. The ICM photography technique is done by deliberately moving the camera during an exposure and can be used for creating images with an abstract/artistic look. ICM photography goes beyond the literal capture of a subject and creates a new world invisible to our normal vision. It is not just a camera technique but a new style of photographic expression that can resemble paintings—particularly watercolor, early impressionism, or abstract impressionism. ICM compositions use shapes, colors, tones, leading lines, textures, etc., in an artistic way. Information and instruction on ICM photography is available on You Tube.
Challenge Procedure: You must register for this challenge if you want to submit images for judging. You will receive a registration confirmation. You may submit up to three images for judging, following the guidelines below for file naming, file size, and deadline. Before the images are posted to Zenfolio for judging, the Administrator will replace the Participant's name with an assigned Participant Number to help ensure image anonymity during the judging. If you have questions, contact Ron McConathy, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you want your images displayed on Zenfolio but not judged, that can be stated in the email with the submissions.
Note: Challenge image submissions will be posted (anonymously until after judging) in a Challenge Gallery on the SANP Zenfolio website accessible to the public; winners will be displayed on SANP social media, the SANP website, and in the SANP Newsletter.
- Camera: Any handheld type of camera is allowed. (Drones are not allowed. :))
- Lens focal length: Only lens focal lengths from 12 to 300 mm may be used (35mm equivalent focal lengths).
- Filters: Neutral density, polarizing, and closeup filters may be used.
- Flash: On-camera or off-camera flash is allowed.
- Tripod: Any tripod is allowed.
- Cell Phone: Any cell phone is allowed.
- Other: The photographer must get signed model releases from any people recognizable in a photograph.
Photography Technique Specifications: Only ICM photography is allowed.
Processing Technique Specifications: None
Entering Challenge Images for Judging
Entries must be received by midnight, 12 August 2023. You may submit up to three JPEG digital image files (not over 4 MB each). Your copyright information and the image metadata must be embedded in the submitted image files. A confirmation that your images have been received with be sent, and if you do not receive it contact Ron McConathy.
Send your entries to email@example.com. Entries received late, too large, or not in the proper file name format will not be judged. If you want your images displayed on Zenfolio but not judged, state that when you submit the images.
Name the digital files in the following format:
- SANPPC stands for ‘SANP Photography Challenge’ (do not change this)
- 202308 is the year and month (month is always two digits)
- a is the participant’s first entry (b = second entry, c = third entry)
- A_Photographer is the photographer’s first initial and last name