Maximum Number of Participants (5 minimum for judging): no maximum.
Purpose of this Challenge: The purpose of this challenge is to photograph wildflower(s) in situ to create a pleasing photograph using only f-stops between f1.0 and f5.6. This will often result in only having a portion of the flower(s) in focus. Focus stacking (or similar) techniques will NOT be allowed.
In recognition of the blooming of spring wildflowers in our area, the May 2023 SANP Photo Challenge is limited to the area east of Highway 111 from the Kentucky line to Highway 27 and east of Highway 27 in Chattanooga in East Tennessee (as shown in this map; note that the area east of the red line includes Fall Creek Falls State Park, the Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area, and the Tennessee portion of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, but wildflowers located in any part of Tennessee east of the red line on the map are allowed).
The subject must be a naturally occurring wildflower found growing in East Tennessee (no domestic flowers are allowed). (Refer to the book Wildflowers of Tennessee by Jack B. Carman if in doubt.) Date & Time: Any day from April 1 thru April 30, between sunrise and sunset.
Challenge Procedure: You must register for this challenge if you want to submit images for judging. You will receive a registration confirmation. You may submit up to three images for judging, following the guidelines below for file naming, file size, and deadline. Before the images are posted to Zenfolio for judging, the Administrator will replace the Participant's name with an assigned Participant Number to help ensure image anonymity during the judging. If you have questions, contact Ron McConathy, at email@example.com.
If a Participant wants his/her images displayed on Zenfolio but not judged, that can be stated in the email with the submissions.
Note: Challenge image submissions will be posted (anonymously until after judging) in a Challenge Gallery on the SANP Zenfolio website accessible to the public; winners will be displayed on SANP social media, the SANP website, and in the SANP Newsletter.
- Camera: Any handheld type of camera is allowed. (Drones are not allowed. :))
- Lens focal length: Only lens focal lengths from 12 to 300 mm may be used (35mm equivalent focal lengths). Macro lenses will be very useful.
- Filters: Neutral density, polarizing, and closeup filters may be used.
- Flash: On-camera or off-camera flash is allowed.
- Tripod: Any tripod is allowed.
- Cell Phone: Any cell phone is allowed.
- Other: The photographer must get signed model releases from any people recognizable in a photograph.
Photography Technique Specifications: Only f-stops between f1.0 and f5.6 can be used.
Processing Technique Specifications: Focus stacking (or similar) techniques are NOT allowed.
Entering Challenge Images for Judging
Entries must be received by midnight, May 6, 2023. Participants may submit up to three JPEG digital image files (not over 4 MB each). The Participant’s copyright information and the image metadata must be embedded in the submitted image files.
Send your entries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Entries received late, too large, or not in the proper file name format will not be judged. If you want your images displayed on Zenfolio but not judged, state that when you submit the images.
Name the digital files in the following format:
- SANPPC stands for ‘SANP Photography Challenge’ (do not change this)
- 202305 is the year and month (month is always two digits)
- a is the participant’s first entry (b = second entry, c = third entry)
- A_Photographer is the photographer’s first initial and last name